FAWCO: a Window on the World
As an AAWE member, you are automatically part of FAWCO (the Federation of American Women's Clubs Overseas), the oldest and largest civilian organization of overseas Americans. AAWE members can participate in programs and activities offered by FAWCO, and you have access to a vast array of resources resulting from their impressive work.
FAWCO's mission is
- to build strong support networks for its American and international membership;
- to improve the lives of women and girls worldwide;
- to advocate for the rights of US citizens overseas; and to mobilize the skills of its membership in support of global initiatives for education, the environment, health and human rights.
Founded in 1931, by Caroline Curtis Brown, FAWCO, is a global women’s NGO (Non-Governmental Organization), an international network of independent volunteer clubs and associations comprising 65 member clubs in 35 countries worldwide, with a total membership of around 12,000. FAWCO’s founders believed that enlightened women, working cooperatively throughout the world, could do much to help achieve international peace. Its original objectives were to “work towards international goodwill and the preservation of world peace, to help one another solve problems common to them all, and to aid women whose citizenship rights were being ignored or restricted.
Today, FAWCO serves as a resource and a voice for its members; seeks to improve the lives of women and girls worldwide, especially in the areas of human rights, health, education and the environment; advocates for the rights of US citizens overseas; contributes to the global community through its Task Forces and The FAWCO Foundation, which provides development grants and education awards. Since 1997, FAWCO has held special consultative status to the UN Economic and Social Council.
If you are an American living overseas you may have many questions about your rights and responsibilities. FAWCO’s US Issues Committees serve as a valuable resource to assist you with US Citizenship, Tax and Banking, and Voting from Overseas issues and to work for more effective representation in Washington. In fact, did you know that FAWCO was instrumental in the creation of the Americans Abroad Caucus? Learn more by clicking on US Liaison.
Resolution #1 of FAWCO's Resolutions and Recommendations for 2015 - 2017 establishes our commitment to improve the lives of women and girls worldwide, especially in the areas of education, the environment, health and human rights. Therefore, our Global Issues Task Forces focus on these four issues.
- Education: The Education Task Force informs FAWCO members about recent developments in the global effort to achieve universal primary education, especially related to issues in education for girls.
- Environment: The Environment Task Force informs members about global environmental issues including air, soil and water pollution, species extinction, energy efficiency, conservation, waste reduction, and climate change.
- Health: The Health Issues Task Force provides information on issues related to women's health and aging. In 2014, the Task Force launched Clubs in Motion.
- Human Rights: The Human Rights Task Force keeps members aware of new developments impacting women’s rights, including United Nations updates, and engages FAWCO member clubs in awareness and action campaigns.
At the FAWCO Interim Meeting in Frankfurt (March 11-13, 2016), Education – Empowering Women and Girls through Knowledge and Skills, was announced as the overarching theme for the FAWCO Target Program 2016 - 2019. View the Target bulletins here and here.
Awards, Involvement, Information
FAWCO offers regular education awards to members through its philanthropic arm, the FAWCO Foundation, and to the children or grandchildren of members. (Would your kids like to study or spend a summer at camp in the US? Would you like funding to learn a new skill?) For more information, see http://www.fawcofoundation.org/our-programs/development-grants.html.
Have a look at what’s going on in general: News from Our Clubs: see what FAWCO member clubs are doing around the world!
Learn more about FAWCO at www.fawco.org.